If you’re looking for somewhere to ride your quad or side x side this Christmas holiday season the Noble Canyon trails are calling you.
Noble Canyon Road is approximately 17km east of Vernon Highway 6. There is parking along Noble Canyon Road before the cattleguard at 1km but ATVs must be unloaded beyond the cattleguard. This is a residential road so don’t block any driveways and keep the noise down. There are parking spots further along Noble Canyon Road up to and just past the 3km mark. There is a steep switchback just past 3km which may not be passable in snowy conditions with a trailer in tow.
Becker Lake side – the road is plowed all the way to Becker Lake because of logging (watch for industrial vehicle traffic, especially on weekdays). Packed trails extend off in every direction from the plowed road with lots of ATV traffic evident providing great riding conditions and access to most of the riding area.
Bardolph Lake side – the road isn’t plowed but lots of ATV traffic has a main trail well packed all the way to the Village of Lumby.
Winter Riding Tips
Low temperatures and the increased risk of getting stuck means it’s extra important you’re prepared when winter ATV riding. Some things to remember before heading out for a fun winter ride:
- Let someone know where you’re going and when you expect to be back (use a tool like the AdventureSmart website or app to share your ride plans).
- Always ride with someone else, safety in numbers!
- Go prepared for winter conditions, dress warmly in layers and take extra clothing.
- Take extra food and drink in case you are out longer than intended.
- Take retrieval equipment including a shovel, tow strap and make sure your vehicle’s winch is working.
- Pack winter emergency gear including: extra warm clothes and gloves/mitts, a sleeping bag or space blankets, matches and candles and a signalling device.