Loading and unloading is one of the highest risk activities encountered as part of a fun day on the trail. This video from Autoguide.com shows how to properly secure ramps and safely load into your vehicle.
Having your machine land on you can happen in a split-second when a ramp slips out or fails so the likelihood of you being able to get out of the way in time is extremely low… you really don’t want your 600lbs+ machine laying on you!
Steps to loading safely:
- Get good quality ramps, rated to handle the size and weight of your quad or side x side and are long enough to allow for a safe loading angle into your truck – jacked up trucks will require longer ramps.
- Secure your ramps to your truck with straps and check that the ramps can’t slip or slide out as you apply power up the ramps.
- Wear a helmet when loading/unloading in case something happens. If you have a side x side wear your seatbelt, you want to be inside the machine in the event of a rollover.
- Use 4 wheel drive and low range and apply the throttle smoothly as you climb the ramps.
- Get your weight forward – just like climbing a hill when riding you should be prepared to lean forward or stand to move your weight forward as required for the slope of your ramps.